Monday, January 21, 2013

Made In Paris - The Feather Centerpiece.

I've professed my love of boas and used them in centerpieces before.  Remember the design I developed for my cousin's baby shower?  



NO?! You must check it out here. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Have I told you about the housewares section in my home?  It's a shelf of knick knacks that stands next to a tub of pictures in the unfinished portion of the basement.  I use this section of my basement to hold the things I fall in and out of love with... It's perfect for those times I need to change my decor OR when I need to reuse a decor item for an event.

While brainstorming centerpiece ideas, I went rummaging through the junk treasures.  I found 3 candlesticks... silver with mirrors and I knew they'd make PERFECT centerpieces.  I originally planned to place tissue paper poms on top similar to how I've done in the past but instead, I decided to make a feather-y centerpiece.

Supplies
2 boas
3 candle sticks
3 large Styrofoam balls
Hot glue
Trash bag

Steps
1. Use your boa to eyeball how much you will need per Styrofoam ball.  Do not worry with covering the bottom of the Styrofoam ball completely.

2. Use the trash bag as a work surface (cutting feathers is messy) and cut the boa to the desired length.

3. Use the glue gun to adhere the boa around the Styrofoam ball.

4.  Fill in any spaces by gluing down the feathers.

5.  Place a dab of glue on top of your candle stick (or vase) to hold your feather pom in place.

VOILA!


An easy and fabulous centerpiece... Please note, this was not one of my more affordable centerpieces, here's a breakdown:

3 Styrofoam balls - $13/each
2 Boas - $10/each
Candle sticks - $0 because I had them on hand. Brand new, however, they cost $9, $13 and $17 each.

Total (not including, glue and trash bags): $88 - $59(candle sticks) = $39... Which isn't as bad as it could be, right?!

Tomorrow, I'll show you the entire space so be sure to come back!

Photobucket

1 comment

  1. Definitely worth the cost. They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.