Monday, April 8, 2013

Ladies. Lumpia. Lessons.

My church hosts monthly Women's Ministry events.  It's a moment for all the girls to come together and enjoy each other's company - building relationships (with God, with fellow Christians, with yourself) is what church family is all about.

I'll have to share the story of RLCC's move into the new building.  It is a POWERFUL example of God's grace... One day I'll get into the details but, for the sake of today, I'll share that we sublet our building to another church family. The other church has a large Filipino population.  We opened our doors for their Sunday afternoon services and we love to fellowship together.  They attended our grand opening celebration and brought several traditional Filipino dishes to share.  I didn't even know how much I loved Filipino food until the Grand Opening (hosted September 2012)!

We were so excited when one of their Filipino cooks volunteered to host a lumpia cooking class for the first women's fellowship of 2013.  This event was hosted by my fabulous mommy.  For realz, everything I needed to learn about being a great hostess I learned from my mommy; it was an awesome day!
We spoke about gifts and how to use them properly.  Mommy started by talking about some of the "misses" that come with utilizing spiritual gifts.
MISguided.  MISused. MISunderstood. MIScreant.  MISgiving. and many MANY more. 
She stuck post-its with the 'MIS' words all over a wall and, some of those that applied to her, she stuck to her shirt as an example of how quickly we can take MISlabels and put them on ourselves:

Scripture teaches, as Christians, we all have spiritually-endowed abilities over which God calls us to be stewards. The Bible refers to these special abilities as spiritual gifts. In 1 Peter 4:10 we are told:
"As each one has received a special gift, employ it serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." 
This fellowship was a great reminder that each of us has at least one gift and the lesson emphasized how each of our individual gifts plays an integral role in God's kingdom work.  Sometimes, as women, our jobs are thankless.  It's good to get a reminder that we play an important role especially if you've ever been like me and felt unnoticed - bleh.

If you would like to join us for the Women's Ministry or any other RLCC event, stay connected with the RLCC calendar!  If you're far away but want to dial-in, we'll make a way for you to join us!  Leave a comment and I'll be sure to send you the next event's info!!
OMG! I didn't realize this post would get so long so fast.  Tomorrow, I'll share the lumpia tutorial.  Sorry... but it will be worth the wait, I promise!
Happy MOTIVATIONAL Monday!
Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.