Thursday, September 17, 2015

Recipe: Birthday Cake Blondies


Islanders, there was a time when Munch and I enjoyed making something together every Monday.  We would bake or craft to our hearts' delight.  We called this awesome day Mommy-N-Me Mondays.  As she grew, Munch's homework requirements increased and so did my work responsibilities.  This year, for the first time ever, Munch doesn't have childcare after school.  She was wait-listed and I refuse to pay one of the local facilities close to $200 for a few hours each week.  As a result, Hubbs is responsible for the morning routine - wakes her up, refreshes her hair, makes sure she has breakfast and puts her on the bus - and I changed my schedule so I can be home when she gets off the school bus.  Islanders, this is a major change in my life.  MAJOR.  I am now in a position to start our evening routine 5.5 hours before bedtime instead of trying to race against the clock in a short 2.5 hours before bedtime.  One of my new schedule's benefits is the return of Mommy-n-Me time!  It's great for us and for you guys too because I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with our creations!

We made these yummies during the first week of school and they were a huge hit! 

Birthday Cake Blondies

Ingredients

- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup of sprinkles 
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp of milk (we use lactose-free milk)
- Pam cooking spray

Step-by-Steps

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F

2.  Combine cake mix and sprinkles


Munch isn't a fan of sprinkles so she decided 1/4 cup is enough for her taste.  You may love sprinkles and decide to increase your amount up to as much as 1/2 cup.

3.  Add all ingredients EXCEPT the milk to the mixture.  Mix until combined.  You will note the consistency will be crumbly.  You can see the consistency in the following pic:


4. Add milk one tbsp at a time.  Mix until batter forms.


OMG, Islanders!  That batter was so light and creamy.  Munch and I enjoyed licking the spoon and bowl.  Oh, don't judge me.  Yes, I let my kid lick the bowl!  Shoot, I did it as a child and nothing ever happened to me.  Anyhoo...

5.  Spray a pie pan with Pam and scoop the batter evenly inside.  You could also use an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.  

6.  Bake 30 minutes or until the blondies turn a golden brown and start to crack on the top.

THIS NEXT STEP WILL BE HARD!

7.  Let the blondies sit for at least one hour so the dense brownie consistency forms.


Hubbs tried one before bed.  Then, he cut more... and more.  The following picture shows his first "serving" of the blondies.


That dude ate more than 1/4 of it in one sitting!  They were SO good and were perfect - chewy, moist and light - until the very last piece.  Hubbs was actually bummed when he ate the last piece.  To think, he claimed he didn't like blondies until he tried our recipe!

I could totally see this recipe baked in muffin tins for mini blondies served with ice cream.  Oh, and we tried this recipe replacing yellow cake mix with red velvet cake mix to make red velvet brownies; they were delish too!  I'll share the deets soon!

Cheers to a YUMMY Thursday!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.