Friday, December 20, 2013

The Family Tree - 2013

I know my adoration for my mom tree has probably sent some mixed signals.  For the record, I actually really like our family tree every year.  It's full of beautiful ornaments and is the home to our beloved annual family ornaments (you can read more on how this tradition started more than 10 years ago with Hubbs and me here).
 
Last year, I used Chevron ribbon around the tree:

 
Chevron was an obsession for me last year... I purchased chevron duct tape and used it to put a stripe on the front of gifts as a faux ribbon:
 
 
 
I've been using kraft paper for my gift wrap for years... Here's my favorite gift presentation from 2010:
 
 
I used the photo of Munch with Santa as gift tags for family that year... Big hit :)  I can't talk about my tree without talking about the gifts. I've always wrapped my gifts to coordinate with my tree.  I snap a pic every year and I prefer for my presents to look awesome.  I've purchased a variety of kraft paper and rustic inspired wrapping paper this year and I'll share that later...
 
BACK TO THE TREE!
 
This year, I wanted to purchase my dream tree (with the snow branches and pine cones... she's pretty and costs a pretty penny too... end of season sale, Tabitha.  End of season sale...) but, rather than splurge, I continued with the rustic-meets-pretty design on the same ol' family tree (she's 10 years old now).  I did, however, take the design one step further. I used burlap... I thought it would require a lot of money but I incorporated things we already had - our family ornaments, some gold ornaments (from Ikea), our tan and white tree skirt - and $25 in new materials.  I purchased burlap to wrap around the tree and went to the Dollar Tree for new ornaments.  They have a great selection!  I got large glitter reindeer, Christmas trees, crosses, icicles, bulbs and more!
 
 
Munch made the ornament (top left) last year.
 
Our family ornament collection looks great amidst the glow of lights and gold glitter.
 
I wanted our tree to look awesome with or without lights so I added white glitter snowflakes in a few different sizes (sold in packs of 3 and 5 at the Dollar Tree).  I need to finish the mantle (we're mounting the television so I can hang our stockings, the wreath and fluff the garland.  That will happen this weekend but for now (and since November 18th), I love it.
 
O and I looked all over until I found the perfect star (at Pier1):
 
 
I've never claimed to have a rustic style because I don't want to abandon my inner glam goddess or my Island girl... shoot, in the new place, I'm very casual traditional in a lot of my choices. I have, however, found that over the past 6 years, I've transitioned from contemporary design to more comfortempo-rustic chic.  OMG!  THAT'S MY HOME DECOR STYLE.
 
COMFORTEMPO-RUSTIC CHIC
 
Yep.  That sums it up.  It also sums up my approach to the tree - if I like it, I used it.  Anyhoo, I love this tree because I feel like it truly represents who we are.  The memories in each of our annual family ornaments, the traditional but glamorous gold accents, the simple burlap and even its location (in our FAMILY room)... we love everything about it!  I've walked into the family room and caught both Hubbs and Munch staring at the tree on separate occasions... no television, no lights... just them. and. Christmas. 
 
A tree that's beautiful, sentimental and captures the essence of the season?
 
 
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
 
Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.