Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What Helps Clear Party Planner Mind Block?

Sometimes, in the midst of crossing things off the party to-do list, I hit a block.  I get consumed with the details and become completely immobile THINKING about what I have to do rather than DOING what I have to do.  I call it Party Planner Mind Block.

It's where the tasks of an event render me completely useless.


Over the years, I've learned the only way I can recover from the unfortunate effects of Party Planner Mind Block is to DO something else... something totally unrelated to the event at hand... to complete a task as a means to remind myself I can do awesome things :)

In the case of the Rock Star Party, my cure was found in a simple project for the craft room.  I finally started the craft room gallery wall:


I love how it turned out.  Get this: it only cost me $4!  Here's how I did it:

Supplies
- Feature Item (I chose scissors)
- Fabric
- Thrifty frame
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors

Step-by-Steps

I'd love to jump right in with the steps but, in reality, I have to explain the upfront requirements... the most important part of this project is finding items appropriate for YOUR space.  In my case, I found a great frame at my local Goodwill for $2.90.  To find a great frame, you have to IGNORE the picture inside of it... This frame was black with gold accents and had a double mat in white and gold; it (the part I was going to use) was pretty fabulous.


The next step is to find your item to "feature" in the frame.  I knew I wanted scissors and I found several options online but I didn't want to pay $10-30 (+ shipping).  You may recall that I mentioned purple plastic scissors in my post reviewing the GA thrifty finds.  You can see them buried under the bag of headbands in the pic below:


Yes, that plastic purple thing is the pair of scissors I got from Joey's Thrift Mall in Columbus, GA.  The pair was hanging between in-the-box Barbie dolls from the 80s and old race cars.  I was so excited when I saw them and I'm certain no one understood the purchase.

I got them home, laid them atop the Monet painting and fell in love.  They looked crazy, that was for sure, but I could see their potential.

1.  Spray paint the scissors.  I laid them next to the guitar and sprayed them in the same metallic gold.



2. Remove the back from the painting and carefully take the Monet print out (it was glued to the mat). 

3. Cover the cardboard backing with scrap fabric.  Glue the excess down so it isn't visible from the front after the frame is hung.



4.  Use hot glue to mount the feature item to your frame.  Allow it to dry completely before hanging.

Hang it up and try to take a clear pic while happy dancing:



It doesn't work, lol.  OK. STOP DANCING AND TRY AGAIN:



Fall in love.  Appreciate the progress.  REALIZE YOUR AWESOMENESS.

NOW, are you ready to tackle this party?  Yes, yes you are.

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.