Monday, August 29, 2016

DIY Tropical Chocolate-covered Oreo Treat!

Last month (in this post), I shared the tutorial for creating fabulous chocolate-covered Oreo cookies using candy molds.  I was so excited to reuse the mold for Munch's tropical party and I can't wait to share what I came up with!


Start with chocolate-covered Oreo cookies ( I used bright pink and yellow).  To learn more about the candy mold specifics and how to dip the cookies, check out the original post here.  Once you have covered cookies, here's how you decorate them to look like flamingos and pineapples.


For Flamingos

1. Use melted chocolate or candy melts to adhere the eye-shaped sprinkles (located in the baking aisle of most stores) and place a black jelly bean on the lower center of the cookie as the beak.

2.  Used a toothpick or other small tool to dip in candy melts and create some feather details at the top by dabbing the area between the eyes.

3.  Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.

Note:  I chilled them overnight until the party and the black areas on the eyes ran... it was bad.  It looked like a scary movie.  Learn from my mistakes and do not leave flamingo cookies in the fridge for long (if at all).

For Pineapples

1.  Trace the tops of pineapples onto green cardstock and cut them out.


2.  Tape the pineapple toppers to toothpicks and use candy melts to adhere the toothpicks to the back of the cookie.


3.  Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.


VOILA!  Easy and fabulous chocolate-covered Oreos! Seriously, wouldn't these make fabulous favors?  I would've loved to include them in our tropical favor boxes but, with the day's heat, it didn't make much sense.  OMG!  I have SO many ideas for these candy molds and I can't WAIT to share them all throughout the year!  As if these beauties weren't awesome enough, we had more.  Yep, these treats were just some of the tropical sweets.  


In addition to the fabulous pineapple cake Misty made for Munch, there were strawberry cupcakes with cute hibiscus flower toppers.  Oh, and we also had some adorable cookies from my newest baker friend, Sugar Berry Sweets.


She's super sweet, super talented and ships worldwide.  The cookies came carefully packaged individually and ready to eat:


I used candy melts to adhere them to Popsicle sticks so they would sit up in my faux grass and I think they turned out super adorable!

Tune in tomorrow for the final Splish Splash Tropical Bash post.  I'm sharing lots of free printables!




Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.