Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas In Real Life - Our Place

OMG! Islanders, Christmas is fading as we approach 2014 and I'm just sick about it.

I shared our outdoor decor here and today, I'm going to wrap-up with our indoor decor.

We spoke about the mom tree, the family tree and the foyer garland.  In these posts, I also shared how I faced a new challenge in the new place.  In our old home, I could unpack and decorate for Christmas with my eyes closed.  In the new place, however,  I needed to figure things out - where? How? More? Less? I just didn't know so this year, decorating took a lot more time than I anticipated.

Dining Room Decor

I started my decorating in the dining room.  With us hosting Christmas, I knew I wanted people to eat around the dining room table.   I created 2 low centerpieces:


The snow-capped succulent was a splurge from Michael's.  I ALSO splurged on a small garland that had sparkly fruit.  I cut it into pieces and used the pieces as filler.


A few pieces of winter greenery and voila:




Between the two vases, I collected trees (brush trees, decorative trees, thrifty trees, etc.):


Yes, Sherry made me some of her awesome paper rosette trees (mentioned in her tree's feature post here).  Thanks, boo!

I placed the napkins and chargers out to see how it looked.  I pulled out the white china day-of.  It turned out really nice!

A picture from Christmas day.

I added a candle at night and I love how it looks:


Kitchen Decor
I kept the kitchen decor pretty simple - Christmas towels and spoon rest.  The table was set with rustic place settings and a quick centerpiece:



Our yarn wreaths were hung on the kitchen chairs and they are aging so gracefully (3 years and counting):


Family Room Decor

I unpacked our stockings, my Village Thrift Store garland (it only cost $2.90) then I added burlap and poinsettias to complete the look:


I've found the best time to buy poinsettias is a few days before Christmas (Lowe's and Home Depot mark them down before the holiday).  I got these large poinsettias for less than $5 four days before Christmas.  It was perfect because they looked awesome on Christmas and I wasn't worried that I'd kill them before the holiday, lol.



I still love our Christmas stockings (purchased from Walmart.com three years ago).  I also love the contrasting burlap.  The wooden trees anchor the mantle because the burlap wreath I made to hang above the fireplace didn't work out (the COMMAND strips didn't hold up well on the brick).  Instead, I propped it up on the wet bar:


It's not quite done but I will definitely finish it… before Christmas next year, lol.


Munch and I piled ornaments into the coffee table centerpiece and filled the J-O-Y dishes with candies.  Speaking of ornaments, I added a few to the family tree right before Christmas:

Munch made it in art class and I love it :)

It's a 6" starburst ornament (from The Village thrift store).  It came 2/pack and they're awesome!

Giant snowflake ornaments I got from The Village thrift store.

Feather ornament (from Target).

Glitter reindeer ornaments from The Village thrift store.

O and, in case you're wondering,  here's the family ornament for 2013:


A KEY!

It says, "New Home" at the top and 2013 on the bottom.  I love it. More importantly, I loved our first Christmas in our home this holiday season!!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.