Tuesday, September 20, 2016

4 Ways to Be an Event Planning Team Player

Last week, I shared the Dream Big baby shower decor.  At the end of that post, I mentioned that I learned some valuable lessons and, because you're my beloved Islanders, I want to share those lessons with you.  After all, most of the visitors and inhabitants of Fabulous Island plan, co-plan or attend events like this.  Lots of you come for the inspiration and today, I'm sharing some advice. When planning an event, especially when planning an event with others, remember this: plans change...  sometimes for the better and sometimes different from what you originally envisioned.

Whatever the change, go with the flow; don't make waves!

Case and point, the tent:


If there was one thing I'd change about the decor, it would be the tent backdrop.


The mobiles are beautiful, the banners were great, the tent was a huge piece of amazing decor.  Together, in front of the projection screen on the wall?  I'd change it.  And that is all I have to say about that.


Insider information: I arrived the day before the shower to hang my giant dream catchers and to set up the life size tent.  I embellished the tent using small tissue poms.

You can see in the following picture where I placed the tent initially, in the back corner of the room.


I know what you're thinking and yes, there's a reason a feature item like the tent was placed in the back corner. There's a very good reason as a matter of fact... an eye sore was in the middle of the main wall.  UGH, that doggone eye sore.  In the center of the wall hangs a projection screen and man, was it was the eye sore of the space... The eye sore, which is actually a large framed white area, was to the left of the tent when I left the night before the party.  This strategic placement made photos like this possible:


I had to wake and drive up north to pick up the cake from Misty.  You saw the space as I left it.  I knew the food would need to be set-up, but all linen was down so, in my mind, there was minimal setup remaining.  Well, when I arrived shower day, the tent was moved in front of the projection screen.  The mobiles Jasmine made were now creating a display above the tent.  The room wasn't much closer to being set-up and we had less than 15 minutes before guests would arrive.  OMG!  I started moving at lightning speed.  Grabbing the trash from packages, sprinkling table scatter, hanging banners, and much more.  I focused on preparing the room, I helped set-up the sweets table and I -- checks over shoulder at the people working on that display.  "Oh, sure. I can hang that" -- closes eyes hoping the eye sore goes away.  I struggled.  I wanted to fix it.  Instead, however, I chose to be an event planning team player and I put into practice some valuable lessons I'd learned.


1.  Let it go.

On shower day, my only official task was to pick up the cake and to help with setup.  When I arrived, the layout was changed.  The 'guest of honor' chairs were shifted over, the tent (gift table) was replaced with a sweets table and the tent was moved in front of the projection screen.


At that point, what was I to do?  Make a scene snatching stuff off the wall to make changes?  Now, y'all know.  The old me might've adjusted some things but what would that fix?

2.  Join the movement.

In an effort to 'disguise' the look of the screen, the shower team hung a variety of poms and banners.  It didn't work very well in photos and I probably would've hung pictures in the white space of the screen to give a gallery wall effect but it was still a great feature.  Rather than protest the design, I followed direction and hung banners.  I had the mobiles adjusted to ensure they hung perfectly.


3.  Understand the decision.

Decisions must be made in the best interest of the event.  If you're not in the position to make them, understand the thought process.  In the case of the tent, it was moved to account for the beautiful sweets table.


4.  See the bigger picture.

Yes, the tent was placed in front of the eye sore but in the grand scheme of things, the projection screen was the ONLY issue with the venue.  The move allowed the sweets table to have prime real estate in the space.   A team of talented aunties and grandparents hosted the event and we were able to work together and make it amazing!

Whenever I see pictures of the tent at the baby shower, I'm reminded of the four lessons I learned to help me be a better team player.


Preserve your sanity and others' feelings.  Focus on what you can change and CHOOSE to enjoy the day!  Now, hold on tightly because there's more sweets table and shower deets to come!



Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.