Friday, February 28, 2014

Guest Room #2 - The Plan.

Happy Friday, Islanders!
 
I feel like this week's blog topics are all over the place.  We started the week talking about Munch's 8th Birthday Party theme and plan, then I shared my latest thrifty finds and new skills.  Today, I'm sharing the color palette for one of the guest rooms. 
 
OMG! Do the topics seem all over the place to you?
Don't answer that...
 
Imagine how my BRAIN feels!
 
I've mentioned before that our home has six bedrooms and a gym.  Now, we didn't enter the market looking for a home with that number of bedrooms and I certainly didn't want that many to keep clean!  Anyhoo, the rooms are pretty large (especially when compared to our small town home's bedrooms) and all of them can easily accommodate a queen size bedroom set (dresser, nightstands, armoire, etc.).
 
When we decided how the bedrooms in our home would be situated, we assigned the following spaces:
 
- The master bedroom
- The kid's bedroom
- The craft room
 
O and we designated the room in the basement as the guest suite.  It has the best bathroom in the house:
 
Photo taken shortly after move-in before decor
 
Photo taken shortly after move-in before décor
 
It's large enough for a small chair and, although I am not ready to spend money on it yet, I can't wait to decorate and make it fabulous.
 
In addition to the large bathroom, the bedroom was large enough to accommodate our old bedroom set (a California King-sized bed and furniture).  It was an EASY decision, THIS was our guest room.
 
Photo taken shortly after move-in before décor
 
 
Photo taken shortly after move-in before décor
 
With the rooms assigned, we were left with 2 additional rooms - one is reserved for a tiny blessing (if God says the same) and the other?  Well, it just sat there... empty.
 

The room gets amazing sunlight!  I just didn't think about what its use would be...  that is, until we had guests over the summer.
 
In July, we hosted some of my in-laws from NJ.  Brian's aunt and uncle slept in the guest room.  Their youngest daughter and Darren crashed in the family room.  The little ones crashed in Munch's room.  Cousin Selena and her husband crashed on a blow-up mattress in, get this, the EMPTY ROOM! 
 
THAT WAS IT!
 
That room would become our OTHER guest room.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with the space. I wanted it to be fabulous and fun and modern yet pretty and welcoming... I wanted it to feel like a hotel... Not too contemporary yet not too stuffy.
 
I decided to let the color scheme evolve from purchasing things I love.  I didn't want to FORCE something into the room.  So, as you can probably imagine, the room sat.  Empty.
 
SIDEBAR:  I hit a funk during this whole nesting process.  Our home was overwhelming.  No room was done.  You know, donepainted, decorated, accessorized, finished, done.  It just wasn't.  I mean, it's clean and it feels like home but... every room served (well, serves) as a reminder of  home projects left undone.
 
Rather than spin my wheels and rush to complete the room, I waited to find things I love.  On one of my thrifty - OMG! Will this post relate to others from this week ;) - shopping trips, I found things I loved and, from there, my plan for this room came together!
 
The Finds
 
 While browsing The Village thrift store, I laid eyes on this fabulous navy pillow:
 
 
It only cost $3.90!  While on that same shopping trip, I also fell in love with this navy and cream vintage peony seed (or bud) container:

 
You know I love my peonies!!
 
A few days later, I found 2 prints on clearance for $15/each at TJMaxx.  They're painted on a linen-like paper and I love the texture.  I wasn't sure where I would use them but I was sure they would fit in somewhere.  I placed all of these items in the empty room and it was weeks before it hit me.

 
They would all work perfectly together and would make an awesome addition in the space!  I began to devise a plan. 
 
The Color Palette
 

 
Navy, Coral, Gold and White
 
 
The Plan
 
It's coming together in my head, Islanders. 
 
 
In the photo above, you can see where the bed and feature wall will be.  I'm planning to have a tall board and batten treatment like this:
 
 
Instead of tan, I'm searching for the perfect shade of navy.  I figure it won't be too much navy because of the contrasting white paint on the board and batten. 
 
Above the bed (on the navy wall), I'm going to hang my fab coral prints:
 
 
Devona has given me her queen-size headboard and it's a great color and shape. I'm torn as to whether to paint it or not.  That decision will come once I find the bedding; there really are a lot of options!
 
 
 I'm going to move the two gold Target tables from our bedroom to serve as bedside tables.  They're really cute:
 
 
...they just aren't to the appropriate scale for our furniture.  They will, however, work perfectly in this space.
 
On the bedside tables, I am excited to use the peony vase to recreate a small arrangement like this:
 
 
Opposite the bed, I'd like to place a modern desk and ornate mirror.
 
 
I have tons of DIY and small accessories in mind but I don't want to purchase or make anything until I have the larger pieces in place.
 
 
Ya'll know I love my inner island girl.  I love the casual and effortless elegance of the tropics.  I can't wait to execute this simple yet fabulous design.
 
I'll be back with updates.
 
What do you think? 
 
What are your colors in your guest room?
 
Photobucket

1 comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.