Friday, October 23, 2015

Day 23: $3 Pumpkin Drop Cookies

You know, everything in my mind doesn't come out as I plan.  Sometimes, things turn out better and on some rare occasions, things just fall short.  I haven't quite decided where this recipe falls but I know this:

It's good.  REALLY good. 

Are you wondering how something can be so good and still be a flop?  I'll get to that.

So, I had this vision.  I saw the cute paper straws DT has for the fall holidays and the Baker's chocolate and thought I could create a 2-ingredient cake pop.  One that requires no egg, and would just roll, freeze and dip perfectly.  In my mind, I was going to break the internet.  Wait.  You don't know what a cake pop is?  I found this infographic:

Source

It's an accurate and hilarious description of the difference between cake pops and bake pops.  I assumed everyone knew what a cake pop was... Until recently when I was talking to Devona. Get this, she's a baker chick who has never had a cake pop.  To clarify, she's made bake pops but doesn't know the original recipe calls for a truffle-like consistency (aka - cake dough). WHAAAAAT?!

HOW ARE WE EVEN STILL FRIENDS?!

I just knew I'd cut my cake pop prep time in half by eliminating the need to use the oven.  Islanders, it was going to be epic.  I hurried to Dollar Tree (DT) and bought my supplies:



I combined the pumpkin and cake mix in my stand mixer.  I mixed and mixed and, while it smelled delicious and tasted amazing, it wasn't the consistency I needed for cake pops.  It didn't have that moist [but not TOO moist] cake dough texture that I could roll into balls for dipping and decorating.

Nope.  I had to do something.  I pulled my DT sugar cookie mix from the pantry and added it with the hope it would thicken and dry the batter.  Nope.  I added 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar.  Nope.

I gave up.  Maybe the entire can of pumpkin wasn't the best idea. Here I was with a big bowl of batter.  Too bad it was-- wait!  Another idea hit me.  I pulled out our DT pumpkin-shaped ice trays and put it in the feezer because maybe, JUST MAYBE, they'll freeze hard as a rock and I could dip them.  While I waited, I melted the Baker's brand premium white chocolate in my Wilton candy melts maker.

TIP:  add a few drops of vegetable oil to get a smooth and creamy consistency that's perfect for dipping.

It had been an hour so surely my dough was hard enough to dip, right?!  Nope.  I was bummed.  I was annoyed.  I was - OMG - I was dipping my finger in the batter and eating it. OMG!  It was SO good!  Is that what this yumminess has come to? Spoonfuls of comfort for my cake pop lovin' soul...

I walked away and came back with the decision to make drop cookies.  I couldn't let it go to waste!  They turned out amazing and perfectly moist.  I drizzled the white chocolate on top and, Islanders, these cookies were even pretty!


No, they were really pretty.


Even after three days, they were still super moist.  I even placed a few smaller dollops of dough on lollipop sticks before baking.  They were super cute!!

Listen, this may not have broken the internet but, if you're adventurous and ready to be impressed by these no-egg, 3-ingredient cookies that cost $3 total, try it and let me know what you think!  Here's the recipe card for your reference:


If you try it, be sure to share your pics and comments on the Facebook page!  I'd love to hear your thoughts!  Get all of your ingredients from DT to be sure you get the best deal!

Oh, in case you're wondering, the "cake dough" is still in the freezer and it's still NOT frozen!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.