Thursday, October 8, 2015

Day 8: Medicine Cabinet Organization

We're continuing our 31 Days of Change series.   New to the island? You can learn more here.

After I finished Devona's cabinet, I was motivated to go home and make some changes.  Islanders, it's amazing what $2 and five minutes can do!


Our master bathroom isn't "master" by most definitions.  There's no separate tub and shower or his and her sinks... it's a toilet a sink and a shower. We purchased a 32-year old home and, for some reason, I don't think the water in the master bath gets hot enough.  So, this space is Hubbs' bathroom.


My area (the hers sink) is a much larger lighted vanity area located just outside of the master bathroom and across from my closet.  In the photo above, can you see my thrifty find hanging outside of the bathroom door?  I use it to create a bootleg "medicine cabinet" in my area:


When I saw that shelf at my favorite local thrift store, I knew it was perfect for our bedroom decor and, specifically, for my vanity area.  It's great but its open shelving means all of my 'medicine cabinet' business is out in the open for all to see. Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it's pretty, I will treat it well!  Hubbs, on the other hand, has the luxury of a medicine cabinet door and, something told me, he could use some organization.  Anyhoo, I was so excited after Devona's cabinet update that I hurried home to get to work on Hubbs' medicine cabinet.  I opened it up and, as usual, he needed me to fix how he was living - haha!


I know what you're thinking.

Medicine cabinets are weird.  You open them and something falls out.  They're narrow and small but hold most of the critical items to everyone's morning routine.  While in the DT, I saw narrow drawer organizers sold 3/pack!  I also found small clear acrylic organizers sold 2/pack.  

That's 5 containers for $2!  

The organizers looked narrow enough to fit in the medicine cabinet but I couldn't be too sure.  

*DT offers exchanges only so, if you're unhappy with a product, take it back for something else*

It was so awesome to see they all fit in the cabinet perfectly!  Before we get to the reveal photos, here are 3 tips to organize your medicine cabinet.

1.  Keep Like Things Together.

In the above photo, you can see there's medicine all over the place.  Meds are weird; you don't need them... until you need them!  Other items in the cabinet are used more frequently but not daily.  Lastly, there are items he uses everyday.  I sorted Hubbs' stuff into 3 major groups - shaving, medicine and vision.

2.  Contain It.

If you're like me, you've organized your medicine cabinet by stacking your stuff up neatly and, within a matter of days, crap was falling out at you when you opened the door.  This isn't Tetris! Don't try to find the winning configuration for your crap.  Like we discussed Day 6, keep it lazy!  I knew if I wanted this to work for Hubbs, I had to make its maintenance easy.

3.  Don't Contain It.

I know.  Contain it but don't contain it... A contradiction in the same post.  Who do I think I am, right?  For real, there's nothing worse than having a space so organized it's a pain to maintain.  For Hubbs, his deodorant, hair brush and toothbrush (he likes them to rest on the bottom shelf, don't ask) needed to be readily available or he'd be annoyed with the entire space.  

Islanders, I know we see this $2 as a worthwhile investment but Hubbs would see it as a waste if it wasn't sensible, functional and LAZY.  Well, the proof is in the pudding.  Here is a picture of his medicine cabinet one week after the transformation.


You may recognize those blue trays; we used one to hold tea in Devona's cabinet update.  


The top one is holding Hubbs' shaving supplies and the middle one holds the meds.  Can you see the acrylic containers?


 They made the perfect holders for his contacts and his small products he doesn't use often.


You will also note that he can easily access his deodorant, toothpaste, brush and toothbrush without any interference.  When I finish most projects, I have to inform him that I improved his life but an hour after this project was done.  He opened the medicine cabinet and said, "OH!  This is nice... Look at you... making my cabinet fancy and stuff.  Thanks..."

That's man talk for "good job, you crafting cleaning creative genius.  I don't know what I would do or where I would be if you weren't in my life!"  No, for real, it is.  You just have to know how to translate.

Speaking of translate, you're almost able to speak DT fluently... Visit yours, use some pocket change to impact your life and be sure to tell yourself how amazing you are when it's all done!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.