Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Craft Vault: Polymer Clay Cupcakes

It feels like FOREVER since we talked about Munchface's baby doll bakery birthday party, right? 

By way of update, I've decided to pull polymer clay cupcakes out of the Island craft vault and tweak what I've done in the past to make necklaces for the girls (at the party, they'll make bakery-themed bead necklaces for their dolls). 

I've pulled the pictures to share the tutorial with you.  The numbers in the bottom left of the picture correspond with the steps, FYI (no big deal, I'm just a little fancy).

Supplies
- Polymer clay (2 colors)
- Optional: Beads (for sprinkles)
- Clay carving tool (butter knife works)
- Large safety pin


1. Polymer clay is stiff but softens as you roll it in your hands.  You'll need to work the clay for about a minute to get it soft enough to manipulate... Then roll 2 balls (1 in each color) about this big (picture #1).

2. Take one ball (the one for the icing) and make a worm(see picture #2)...My assistant, Munchface, demonstrates worm rolling...You see that blurry hand; she is WORKING it!

3. Nope...too fat, Munch.  It needs to look like mommy's...


4. While Munch worked (and re-worked) until her "frosting" was thin enough, I molded the other ball into the base of a cupcake and used my clay tool (you can use a toothpick or butter knife) to give the wrapper its ridges.

5. This picture shows my "cupcake wrapper" just before it was completed.

6. I swirled Munchface's "frosting" onto the top of my wrapper (first ensure the frosting is secure by gently pressing it onto the center of the base). Meanwhile, Munch rolled a tiny ball for the black cherry topper (we also used sparkly beads as toppers for the other cupcakes).

7. Shows our mini cupcake ready for baking.  Use a large safety pin to push a hole all the way through the cupcake.  This will allow the cupcake to be a necklace charm.  Bake in the oven on 225 degrees for 15 minutes.

8.  Let it cool 10 minutes.

9.  Slide pendant "needle" (sold in jewelry making section of craft stores) through the hole.  Bend the end to prevent the cupcake from sliding off.

10.  Slide onto your ribbon or chain through the top of your *now* cupcake charm and enjoy your cute necklace. 

We'll make ours similar to this one (the bow, hello?!):


I used this technique to make these rings for a client's pinkalicious party last April:


I just love how affordable and easy polymer clay is to work with. Think about it, polymer cupcake jewelry is pricey!  Why spend that money when you can have fun making them yourself or with a friend.  Trust me, the rewards are NOT just monetary :)

I can't wait to find OTHER things to do with polymer clay!


Photobucket

Linking up:








The DIY Dreamer

6 comments

  1. Love it! Love it! Love it! I hope you'll link this up to Whimsy Wednesdays. You've had some amazing posts lately. I might not always leave a comment, but I've been keeping tabs on you. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT tutorial!! I had no idea how to make polymer clay cupcakes.. or anything for that matter!

    I would absolutely LOVE IT if you shared this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.