Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bakin' Bows: The Korker Tutorial

We.


Wear.


Big.


Bows.




... Bows are like the fabulous cherry on top of my cute little cupcake... Like the gravy on my little lumpy mashed potatoes... Like french fries dipped in my milkshake... Wait. Am I the only one who LOVES that salty-sweet combo?  O, don't act like you don't -SERIOUSLY? You don't? Well, don't judge me!

Anyways, I decided long ago that I would NOT pay high retail prices for hair bows (she wears them everyday... with every outfit... for every occasion... My need was far too high... PLUS, I like to have original prints/colors) and, as a result, I taught myself how to make them.  Munch is pretty-much KNOWN for her hair bows and headbands.  Since we have very few secrets on the island, I've decided to share some tips and tutorials with all of you! I know and you're gee-golly welcome... First, up?

KORKER BOW TUTORIAL

1. Gather Supplies
- 1 spool of ribbon (works best with 1/4" grosgrain ribbon)
- 1/4" wooden dowels (2-4)
- Wooden clothespins
- Cookie Sheet
- Oven

2. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees

3.  Remove any stickers from the wooden dowels

4. Use 1 clothespin to clip the ribbon to the end of your wooden dowel

5. Wrap the ribbon (with no spaces) around the dowel.

6. When you come to the end of the dowel, use a clothespin to secure your ribbon. Place on the cookie sheet for baking.


7. Repeat steps 2-6 until your spool of ribbon is used.

8. Bake for 15 minutes.

9. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.

10.  Unravel the dowel to expose perfectly spiral-curled ribbon!


From here, you can cut your ribbon in 3" or 4" strips.  For 1 full bow, I use 12 strips cut 3" or 4" in length.  For 2 smaller bows, I use 8 strips cut 4" in length.  I'll post tutorials for each soon BUT tune in tomorrow to learn how to use your *now* korked ribbon to make one of THESE:


Don't you love figuring out the DI(mYself) version of things?  I use korker bows to embellish gifts or napkin rings for parties or to make pins for clothing... Maybe I'll even make some tiny korker shoe toppers for God baby's crib shoes?  Hmm... Plotting...

The possibilities are endless so be sure to stay tuned!


Photobucket




Linking up!

2 comments

  1. I never in a million years would have known how to do this! I love the cupcake bow! I can't wait to see all the goodies you make for your godbaby. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love bows :] and that cupcake is super adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.