Friday, July 13, 2012

Frugal Friday - A FaBOWlous Frame

Happy Frugal Friday, Islanders!

I mentioned yesterday how I transformed a thrifty find into a faBOWlous addition to God baby's shower decor.  Well, as promised, here's how I did it:

Supplies
- Frame
- Spray Paint
- Hot glue (and gun)
- Paper (or fabric) of your choice
- Ribbon (2 sizes)

Here's my victim for this project:


I loved the shape and size of the frame so I bought it!

I found handmade paper at World Market and thought it was the perfect color combo for this project.

Step-By-Steps
(*singing* DAY BY DAY... What? It's TGIF! Don't act like you don't remember that show! Wait. You don't? ::shrugs::)

1.  Remove the back of the frame. My victim was only 2 pieces (the frame and this cardboard insert), however, in the past, I've used the cardboard insert (and placed the glass behind it) and I've even glued directly to the glass.  Anyways, with the insert gone, I spray painted 2 coats of white on the frame and set it aside to dry.

2. Trace the shape onto the underside of your paper (or fabric).


3. Cut out the shape and use your hot glue to adhere your paper directly to the cardboard.

4.  With your larger ribbon (I found this ruffled ribbon at Michael's), determine the ribbon's placement and the required length.  Cut and glue your ends to the back of your paper-covered piece; no need to be pretty, it's the BACK:

Note: Do not glue the ribbon down on the front (other than an occasional dot) because the clippies slide behind it!

5. Repeat step 4 until you have the desired number of rows:
6.  Layer the next size ribbon on top and use the same technique (glue to the back and add a few dots on the front).

I added a thin turquoise ribbon but this step is not required; I just thought it added a little shumthin'-shumthin' :) 


Secure your paper-covered portion into the frame and voila! You're ALL done!


Here it is with a tiny bow hanging on it:

You get the idea. 

Other things to note: Consider your bows' sizes before you get started.  To maximize your frame's storage, be sure to space rows so big bows can fit comfortably. 

It is Frugal Friday so here's a cost breakdown:

Ribbon: $7
Paper: $3
Frame: $4
Spray paint: $0 (I had it on hand)
Total: $14

I'm having a bow-making station at the shower so this, propped on a small easel, will make a great holder and will double as nursery decor.  OMG!  I could totally see $5 white Walmart frames with room-coordinating papers to organize Munch's bows by colors AND create a collage.  I have a HUGE thrifty frame and I'm debating whether to use it as 1 giant bow frame... Hmmm.  I'm not sure right now but you'll be the first to know.

MORAL: $14 at my local party store would buy me some paper hangings that I'd trash immediately following the event.  In THIS case, however, $14 created a custom bow holder that will look awesome in God baby's room for years to come!

What do you think?

 


Cheers to a frugal and faBOWlous Friday!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.