Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Kitchen Updates: Tips for Everything Else

Hi, friends!
First, thanks for so many positive comments and feedback; it's greatly appreciated.  There were a few other tips I wanted to offer for anyone looking to have a beautiful and functioning kitchen.

1.  Update the lighting.

Every kitchen I've owned had flourescent lighting and we've always had a decorative cover.  In the case of the townhouse flip, there was a flourescent light with an outdated cover.  With everything else getting a face lift in the space, the light fixture started to take some of my focus.  We took a trip to Lowe's to shop for an affordable light fixture and found a simple one for about $30.  It included bulbs and was a cinch to install.


In the photo above, you can't see it but when the flourescent light was removed, an ugly portion of the ceiling was exposed.  Thankfully, with the light on, you couldn't tell.  I had to get creative because I didn't have time to paint the entire main living level ceilings before the showings would start.  I came up with an idea to use trim to create a 'frame' around the light fixture and to use some of the extra paint to create a focal point. 


The accent paint on the ceiling gave the illusion the light fixture was more of a statement piece while having the paint on the ceiling ensured it didn't take away from the design of the space.  I loved how it turned out so much that I've recommended it to everyone who loathes their bulky flourescent light.


2.  Clear it off.

If you don't use it everyday, remove it from your counters.  I love the look of clean countertops.  I love love LOVE it.  It brings peace and motivates me to use the counters for their intended purposes... making a mess.  Funny how that works, huh? HAHA!


3.  Increase vertical storage and functionality.

Behind cabinet doors, use small hooks for pot holders or memo boards.  If you have sentimental recipes or kitchen tools (like grandma's wooden spoon), hang them up as decor.  I didn't want the space over the sink to be wasted so, we hung a shelf and hooks.


The townhouse flip didn't have an in-kitchen pantry so I lost cabinet space to accommodate food storage.  I felt it was best to display my new favorite mugs because they're pretty, uniform in color, and used on a daily basis!

4.  Update the floors.

The year prior to selling the townhouse flip, we replaced all floors.  I chose this distressed vinyl flooring because it was durable, beautiful and affordable!  

I know what you're thinking and these are not your old school vinyl floors; they're amazing!  I had realtors tell me they had to run their fingers through the groove to confirm and quite a few said they couldn't tell they weren't hardwood!

I think that wraps up all of the townhouse flip's kitchen updates.  If I forgot something, don't hesitate to let me know!  Kitchens are the heart of the home; they're one of the most frequented areas of the home.  I hope sharing the process by which we transformed the townhouse flip space has inspired you to make changes that fit your space and your budget.

Happy cookin' in the kitchen!



1 comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.