Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 15 - First Grade Retaliation


That little button up there is a reminder that I signed up to post everyday related to my home (quality of) life... I have been behind posting these last few days and I owe you an apology.  There's no excuse... but I've got one:

First grade is kicking my butt.  

We've been working VERY hard to keep Munchface ahead of the curve but her reading and spelling require more focus.  Maybe you didn't hear me earlier:

FIRST GRADE IS KICKING MY BUTT!

I decided to take matters into my own hands by doing the following:

- Changed work hours.  Yes, I'm up earlier but leaving in enough time to start dinner before I pick-up Munch is awesome and it means we focus on schoolwork! 

- Downloaded cell phone apps.  Phonics Genius, Dr. Seuss books and a few others were added to my age-appropriate games on my cell for Munch.  This allows us to practice in the grocery store, in the car, and whenever she asks.

- Practice.  After we read, I ask her questions about the beginning and the end of the story (of course I act like I forgot what happened or we make up something silly and she cracks up and corrects me).  This helps with her comprehension.  O and, speaking of practice, we read a short book about money, practice writing our letters/numbers and even review sounds BEFORE we start school work.  It's like our homework warm-up.

Honestly, we're seeing the payoff already and it is totally worth it!

I've got news for FIRST GRADE, it might kick... but we kick back!


You see the blurry limbs, she was SERIOUS!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.