Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 7 - If You Love It.


We bought a house.

I wanted it to be warm and cozy.  Warm = red.  I painted red walls, I purchased red throw pillows, I bought a red rug... I wanted it WARM.  

I wanted it modern.  Dark = modern.  I bought brown-black wood tables, picture frames, plates... I wanted it MODERN.

I bought magazines and tried to duplicate what I saw.

Finally, I looked around and realized no matter what I did, my house didn't match my family.  Warmth doesn't come in the colors I choose but in the quality of people.  What's the use of uncomfortable modern pieces in a home where we spread UNO cards all over the floor?  

I had a house full of stuff and I hated it.

I had to figure out why.  Then it hit me.  I was scared.  Scared of being less perfect.  Scared people who came wouldn't think my house was nice.  Scared if it didn't look like a magazine, it wasn't pretty.  Eventually, however, I stopped caring... Stopped being scared.  I repeated in my head that HOME should not be a place of resentment especially because of STUFF.  

I will love my piece of the Earth.

I made a rule to only buy things I love and to clear out the things I don't.  I started this movement with a purchase.

HomeGoods. Me. A wine rack.  It caught my eye. I saw the price. I walked away.  

I walked away? Stupid.

It stayed on my mind but, when I went back, it was gone... I told everyone about it. I dreamed about it.  It was weird, cool, corky, perfect... BUT it was also gone :(

Until I saw it at another location and, without thinking, I bought it.  Islanders, meet my beloved wine rack:


Guess what? 2 years later, I still love it. It still makes me smile and it symbolizes the start of a MOVEMENT 'round these parts.

Are you in the same boat? Can you relate? If so, take a risk!  It's your home, your life, your family... Nobody's opinion matters but yours!

Photobucket

1 comment

  1. Totally can relate. I usually settle because something is cheaper or more practical. You are right. The wine rack is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Meet The New Pup.

Well, if you follow me on Instagram, you already e-met our new dog.  That ball of naps and fat rolls photographed above chose his ow...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.